Today Apple has let all all out, releasing its ultimate portable iPad the company has made yet. The iPad mini. With a slim 7.2mm thick aluminum constructed body coming in at just .68 pounds which is 53% lighter and 32% thinner than the new iPad 4, a 7.9-inch display at the resolution of 1024x768, and packing a dual-core A5 CPU plucked from the iPad 2, the iPad mini is an outstanding portable tablet which can be held using one hand. Granted the iPad mini isn't as powerful or equipped with a Retina display like its older brother the iPad 3 and the newly refreshed iPad 4, but at the $329 starting price we can't complain.
You'll be happy to know that Apple's new iPad mini features twice a 5-megapixel back facing iSight camera that shoots full 1080p HD video, a front facing 720p HD FaceTime camera, optional LTE cellular chip, and same impressive 10 hours of battery life. Full specs below:
- Models: Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + Cellular LTE
- Display: 7.9-inch LED-backlit IPS display at 1024x768 resolution (163ppi)
- Processors: Apple A5 dual-core chip
- Cameras: 5MP autofocus back iSight camera with backside illuminated sensor, five-element lens and 1080p HD video recording - 720p HD front FaceTime camera
- Connectors: Lightning charge and sync port
- Battery life: Up to 10 hours
- Size: 7.87-inch by 5.3-inch wide at .28-inch (7.2mm) thick
- Weight: .68 pounds (308g)
- Capacities: 16GB, 32GB and 64GB
- Colors: Black slate with black front, silver with white front
Apple's new iPad mini is designed with a similar look and feel as the company's latest iPod Touch 5th generation and iPhone 5. The iPad mini is designed using diamond-cut chamfered edges, a solid unibody frame, and comes in silver and black anodized colors.
The new iPad mini has a .9-inch larger screen than that of Google's Asus-made Nexus 7 tablet yet it manages to have a slimmer and lighter form factor. It's also just $30 more costly than the 32GB iPod Touch 5. You can pre-order the iPad mini in either black or white with 16GB for $329, 32GB for $429 and 64GB for $529 starting October 26 and expect to get your hands on it on November 2nd. And if you're looking for that LTE equipped iPad mini starting at $459 for the 16GB model, Apple will start shipping those in mid November.